Taipei Model United Nations is an annual model UN conference held by the Youth Association of International Conferences of National Chengchi University. It is an academic-based conference that combines international relations, negotiation, and diplomacy. Since 2005, TMUN has served as a platform for university students to discuss the most pressing issues that the world is facing. This year, TMUN2019 also opens up to a number of high schoolers, hoping to bring the best experience to more people.
For more information, please visit our fanpage on Facebook.
- The Conference Policy is written by the administration team of Taipei Model United Nations, and reserving the right to modification.
- After the delegate list confirmed, the host team will send e-mail to all delegate as a whole for you to provide the proof of absent for school if needed.
- Please keep your ticket safely.
- To confirm your attending, please present your ticket during registration on May 17, 2019.
- All delegates MUST finish your payment in 7 days. Once the payment is expired, we will cancel your request.
- After you finish your payment, you will receive a confirmation mail in 10 days. Please feel free to contact us if you have any question.
- the Refunding Policy: if you discover you can't participate during the conference after the registration, and there is the need for you to cancel the application, please contact the host team directly instead of using the original ticket website since there are specific rules for refunding:
- During 2018/10/1-2018/12/20 (before 23:59), apply for refunded within three days after the payment is succeed (received the payment success notification letter) will receive full refund NTD 2,700 (early bird NTD 2,400).
- During 2018-10/1-2018/12/20 (before 23:59), apply for refunded after three days when the payment is succeed (received the payment success notification letter) will receive 70 percent of the registration fee, which is NTD 1,890 (early bird NTD 1,680).
- During 2018/12/21-2019/03/31 (before 23:59), apply for refunded will receive 50 percent of the registration fee, which is NTD 1,350 (early bird NTD 1,200).
- There will not be any refund accept after 2019/04/01.
- Those who are unable to participate in any session in the conference will not be refunded.
- Reissue of the certificates: If there are errors on your certificates, please contact the host team within a week, overdue will not be accepted. If your application for reissue is due to personal reason (ex: lost or damaged), the host team won’t accept your reissue.
- Rules regarding ID Badge: Delegate should wear their ID Badge approved by the host team during the whole conference. Delegate will have to pay NTD 150 to the host team for reissue if the ID Badge is lost or damaged.
- Declaration: Delegate must ensure that the information in the registration form is true. If the information found to be inconsistent with the fact, the host team will have the right to cancel your registration and there won't be refund in this situation.
We apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused, and thank you for understanding. We are looking forward to seeing you in TMUN 2019.
Every delegate is required to fill out the Delegate Registration Form of TMUN 2019. Delegates who would like to be part of a double delegation must find their own partners in advance and fill in information regarding their partners in the registration form.
Early Bird Registration (Oct 1,2018- Oct 14, 2018)
Registration fee for Early Bird Registration will be 2,400NTD. This includes 6 sessions, 2 panels and 1 social event. Early Bird Registrations are only open in a limited time.
Regular Registration (Oct 15,2018- Dec 16,2018)
Collegiate Delegate Registration
Registration fee for collegiate delegates will be 2,700NTD. This includes 6 sessions, 2 panels and 1 social event.
High School Delegate Registration
Registration fee for high school delegates will be 2,700NTD. This includes 6 sessions, 2 panels and 1 social event.
Late Registration(Feb 1,2019-Feb 15,2019)
Registration fee for Late Registration will be 2,700NTD. This includes 6 sessions, 2 panels and 1 social event.
Committee Size: 15 delegations
Topic: The Situation in Somalia
Research difficulty: ★★★★☆
Debate fierceness: ★★★★★
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC in short) is one of the United Nation’s crucial organs. Not only is it in charge of international peace and security under the UN Charter, it is also responsible for the acceptance of the new member states of the United Nations, they also recommend the United Nations General Assembly for potential Secretary-General.
One of the most well-known fact about Security Council is the existence of the five permanent members, whom has the power to veto any substantive resolution. The five permanent members are China (formerly Republic of China), France, Russian Federation, United Kingdom and United States.
There are 15 members in the Security Council. Beside the five permanent members, the other 10 member-seats are being held on rotation by the other countries. However, these rotating members still has to be voted on in order to be in the Security Council. The Presidency of Security Council is also being held on rotation by current member states of the Security Council by month alphabetically.
The Security Council may seem small with just fifteen member-states on board as committee members, but they carry the responsibility from the world.
General Assembly First Committee: Disarmament and International Security Committee (DISEC)
Committee Size: 55-80 delegations
Topic: Foreign Military Intervention in Internal Conflicts
Research difficulty: ★★★☆☆
Debate fierceness: ★★★☆☆
DISEC, officially known as the First Committee, is the first and one of the six considerable principle committees under the United Nations General Assembly (GA), where all member states of the UN are eligible as committee members with equal vote.
As its distinctive acronymic name suggests, the first committee, established under Chapter IV of the UN Charter, discusses a wide variety of topics related to international disarmament and security, from cyber security, organized crime, and civil conflict, to nuclear non-proliferation. Working closely with the United Nations Disarmament Commission and Conference of Disarmament, GA1 seeks to uphold international security by overseeing the UN's maintenance efforts, and hopes to truly bring forth a world of "freedom from fear".
As a delegate of this committee, you are expected to have a basic understanding over the UN’s operation history, while also decide how your influence as a nation should be exacted - no matter by resorting to hefty debate, taking advantage of your diplomatic leverage, or through passing non-legal binding policy recommendations to the Security Council. If you enjoy interpreting a distinctive position, or diving into controversial and intense debates, GA1 is the committee you are looking for.
United Nations Economic and Social Concil(ECOSOC):
Committee Size: 40-50 delegations
Topic: Issues of International Tax and Trade Policy Conflict and Cooperation
Research difficulty: ★★☆☆☆
Debate fierceness: ★★☆☆☆
According to Chapter X, Articles 61-72, of the UN Charter, the ECOSOC may make or initiate studies and reports with respect to international economic, social, cultural, educational, health, and related matters and may make recommendations with respect to any such matters to the General Assembly to the Members of the United Nations, and to the specialized agencies concerned.
The official introduction by the United Nations says that the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) deals with economic, social, cultural and health matters as well as human rights and fundamental freedoms. It also coordinates the work of the UN and the specialized agencies.
The host team of Taipei Model United Nations 2019 reserves all rights to make final changes to conference details.